Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Two from "Lure of the Tropics"

Andre Kostelanetz' Lure of the Tropics appeared in 1954 on the Columbia Masterworks label; then it reappeared in 1955 as part of the CL (popular) series. In fact, a number of Kosty's CL-series LPs are, in fact, reissues of earlier Masterworks albums, in case you didn't know. As if record collecting wasn't complicated enough already.

1954 is kind of pushing the upper limits of the historical window for this blog, but a blogger's gotta do what a blogger's gotta do. (Besides, it's my blog, and I can do whatever I want to do.)

Seriously, I like to draw the line at 1953, but it's not like the Accuracy in Blogging Cops are heading this way as we speak. (Wait a minute--do I hear sirens?) Ohhhh, no. Better hide.

Meanwhile, here are Kosty's versions of Kashmiri Song (Pale Hands I Loved) and Jamaican Rhumba. The first number, a depressing but gorgeous art song, was first published in 1902 with words by Laurence Hope and music by Amy Woodforde-Finden. Laurence Hope was, in fact, the British poet Violet Nicholson, who poisoned herself in 1904 (at the age of 39) upon the death of her husband, General Malcolm Hassels Nicolson. Thomas Hardy was one of her admirers. Now you know. Information courtesy of this excellent article.

Dig the theremin on the first selection:

Kashmiri Song (Pale Hands I Loved) (Nicholson/Woodforde-Finden), Andre Kostelanetz and His Orchestra, 1954. From the four-selection Columbia EP Lure of the Tropics.

Jamaican Rhumba (Arthur Benjamin) , Andre Kostelanetz and His Orchestra, 1954. From same disc.

Lee

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee,

Nice to have you back in the mood music business. "Kashmiri Song" is such a wonderful throwback to all those fabulous Dr. Samuel Hoffman albums of the late 1940s. Is Hoffman featured here? This sounds so much more soprano-esque. Also, I have to thank you for posting the Whittemore and Lowe album. And much as I hate to say so, even Mitch Miller sounded good. Am I that starved for melody?

2:20 PM  
Blogger Lee Hartsfeld said...

David,

Don't know if that's Hoffman or not--he may have still been under contract to Capitol! Glad you enjoyed W&L. I wish I had more of them to put up, such as their four-hand version of Wilder's "Neurotic Goldfish"! I wouldn't worry about Miller sounding good,unless you get a sudden craving for two-fer "Sing Along with..." reissues. Then I'd worry!

Nice to hear from you,

Lee

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee,

I sent "Kashmiri" to two dozen or so friends and raved about the record. Now I have to send "Moon of Manakoora." I hope you don't mind, but the fruits of your labors deserve the widest tasting possible. I never know what you have in store for visitors, but I usually find your choices outstanding and your commentaries incisive and witty. I've even distributed a few of your editorial rants to friends. Do you think Ohio will ever have paper-trail voting machines again? New Mexico just made them a matter of law.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Lee Hartsfeld said...

David,

By all means, share away! Rants and/or music. Pleased to hear you're doing so. Re paper trails, I've read that they're only as honest as the voting machines themselves, which is a terrifying thought. I hope that's not true. There was a lot noise about making paper trails a matter of law here, but I have no idea where that's at. I DO know that Diebold is charging Ohio counties huge prices for technical support--up to $100,000 a year! No one anticipated these charges, of course.

Lee

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home