Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The roots of Ferrante and Teicher

Everybody's favorite duo-pianists, Ferrante and Teicher, weren't the first concert pianists of awesome technique to record novelty numbers and/or arrangements. I know, because I have located one (1) example of what I'm talking about--Jose and Amparo Iturbi's 1948 Three Blind Mice, as arranged by Jose Iturbi and George Stoll. The piece is in two sections: a Waltz Version, and a Boogie Version. Sounds lame, I know--but Itrubi and Stoll's treatment is exceptionally well-done, and the husband-and-wife ivory-tickling here is nearly as flashy as F&T on a second encore. They have that same spooky chemistry, too. I guess I'm just a sucker for grand pianism.

http://www.box.net/public/lee/files/243966.html Three Blind Mice (Arranged by Jose Iturbi and George Stoll), Jose and Amparo Iturbi, 1948 (from the 12" RCA Red Seal 78 set DM 1246).

Hopefully, I'll get my hands on some more F&T "roots." They're out there--I simply have to find them. Time to go thrifting!

(Please save, rather than open, file for best results. Thanks!)

Lee

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the compliments to the Iturbis, they are well-deserved as the Iturbis are two of the best pianists to caress the ivories. BUT, they were brother and sister, not husband and wife. People have been getting that mixed up for way too long and it's time to set the record straight. Jose Iturbi was married to Maria Giner, who pre-deceased him, and Amparo, Jose's kid sister by almost 4 years, married a guy named Ballester whose first name I have inconveniently forgotten.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Lee Hartsfeld said...

Thanks for the correction. I'll make a note of that.

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home